Canada’s premier lottery game is the Lotto 6/49. This lottery is one of the longest-running games you will find at Indian lottery sites and first sprang into gear in 1982. It was the first jackpot game in Canada to allow players to select their own numbers, but the way it is played today is hardly revolutionary. Let us find out more by looking at how Indian players can get involved in the Lotto 6/49.
Key Facts about Lotto 6/49
- Ticket Price ₹400
- Minimum Jackpot ₹27 Crores
- Record Jackpot ₹345 Crores
- Probability of Winning 1:21
- Draw Thursdays & Sundays at 08:00 (IST)
- Best Place to Play Lottoland
- Lotto Home Country Canada
Lotto 6/49 in India
Lotto 6/49 was the first “proper” lottery to surface in Canada. It was one of the first to allow players to select their own numbers and is run by the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation. With a lottery as old as this, the game has understandably undergone several changes over the years. These include ticket prices, drawing rules and the value of the prize.
Today’s Lotto 6/49 can be played by players across the globe, and that includes those in India. This is done via online lottery sites and agents. They will happily go out and snap up the ticket for you, for an added cost. With that in mind, how does it work?
How to Play Lotto 6/49
There is more than one way to play Lotto 6/49. You can opt for a Quick Pick (random ticket), pick your own numbers, or select an Encore ticket. The latter offers up a bonus game whereby players can snap up cash prizes ranging from $2 up to $1 million by matching left to right, right to left, or a combination of both.
The base game allows you to choose six numbers from 1 to 49 on up to 10 tickets, known as boards. This lottery game does not ask you to pick bonus balls, although one is drawn from the pot anyway.
In the draw, a total of six numbers will roll out of the pot (plus a bonus ball), and players who match all six will win the to prize. Here is how the prize breakdown works:
- Six Numbers: Jackpot
- Five Numbers and the Bonus Ball: A share of 6% of the total pool
- Five Numbers: A share of 5% of the total pool
- Four Numbers: A share of 4% of the total pool
- Three Numbers: $10
- Two Numbers and the Bonus Ball: $5
- Two Numbers: A free ticket to a future draw
The total value of the pot changes with each draw. The Encore ticket and resulting Superdraw is only available to players in Ontario. However, those players in India may also be able to purchase this ticket, depending on the site you opt to go with.
The Key Facts
There are a few standout things which are worth mentioning concerning Lotto 6/49. These include:
- Chances of Success: Players have a 1 in 13,983,816 chance of success of winning the jackpot. However, the odds of picking up any sort of win are 1 in 8.3. You stand a 1 in 9.17 chance of bagging a win with the Encore ticket.
- Draws: The draw now uses a random number generator (RNG) to pull out the winning numbers. Draws take place every Wednesday and Saturday.
- Jackpots: The Lotto 6/49 jackpot is guaranteed to be worth at least $5 million. Prizes for Encore tickets range from $2 up to $1 million.
- Ticket prices: The ticket prices have changed a few times over the years. Currently, a ticket costs $3 per line. This figure will be slightly higher when playing at Indian lottery betting sites, on account of their fees.
The largest-ever jackpot won in a Lotto 6/49 game (using an older format and cheaper tickets) is $26.4 million. This was won way back in September 1995. In more recent times, and under the new rules of the game, the record stands at $64 million, which was one by a single player in Mississauga, Ontario.
Lotto 6/49 is a popular game on account of the sizeable prizes it pays out to players who land combinations in the upper tiers of the paytable. These are often more generous than those in rival lotteries, making Lotto 6/49 appealing to Indian players.
Frequently Asked Questions
Indian players with a few lingering questions regarding the legality of the game and other issues may find answers in this brief FAQ guide.
Do I pay tax if I win on Lotto 6/49 abroad?
Canadians do not have to pay tax on winnings from gambling, and this includes lotteries. Indian players will, therefore, avoid any Canadian tax on their winnings. However, they may be liable for Indian income tax, especially if they win a substantial amount.
Do I have to be a Canadian citizen or resident to play Lotto 6/49?
No. Like most major lotteries in the world, Lotto 6/49 has gone global via lottery betting sites, and there are no rules which state that you must live in Canada to play the lotto game.
Can I purchase side-bets in this lottery game?
Yes. The Encore ticket includes a Superdraw game, whereby players can win anything from $2 up to a million dollars, based on the combinations they acquire.
Are my winnings paid out in a lump sum, or with annuity payments?
Canada’s Lotto 6/49 pays out its winners with one single lump sum. However, as it is the lottery betting site that you are signed up who is paying you a prize, you will need to ensure that they also do that. Some opt to play their plays in instalments, which is not what you want.
Is Lotto 6/49 licensed and legal?
Yes. The lottery game is licensed in Canada and is legal for Canadians to play. India has no specific laws which prevent you from playing offshore lottery games. Provided the site you choose to play at is licensed and secure, then everything should be perfectly fine. This may be subject to change in the future, but for now, Indians are invited to play Lotto 6/49.